Congrats on getting a new gig flying a Cirrus!
KTVC 230412Z AUTO 23006KT 1 3/4SM -SN SCT018 OVC025 M08/M11 A2991 RMK AO2 P0000 T10831111
KTVC 230347Z 0304/0404 23010G18KT 2SM -SHSN OVC025
FM230800 22009KT 2SM -SHSN OVC025
FM231300 26006KT 1 1/2SM -SHSN OVC025
FM231800 33011G21KT 2SM -SHSN BLSN OVC025
FM232100 34012G23KT 4SM -SHSN BLSN BKN025
KSJX 030415Z AUTO 25015G21KT 2 1/2SM -SN SCT007 SCT012 OVC017 M08/M11 A2984 RMK AO2 T10801106
The new owner you work for wants you to take him and his family (wife and two small children) in his SR22 from Beaver Island back to Traverse City. The airplane is in Traverse City, so you drive to the airport earlier that day, and fly out to Beaver Island to be there ready for them when they want to go. Oh, and by the way, you are going to do this flight VFR (not because you don’t have an instrument rating, but because if you are taking this course, you are going for a VFR Commercial Pilot Practical Test, which focuses on VFR flying, not instrument flying). The owner expects to be leaving Beaver Island around 11pm local (it is December 23rd and they have family events back in Traverse City the next day). There is no forecasts or advisories for icing. Follow along with the questions below, and post your questions or thoughts to add in the Commercial Pilot Forum.
- Can you legally do this flight VFR?
- What altitudes will you fly?
- Who will you (if any) file a flight plan with?
- Who will you notify of your intent to fly this route at this time, under these conditions?
- What emergency equipment do you need to have on-board a single engine airplane flying over water?
- What would you do if you smell smoke while taxiing out of Beaver Island for departure?
- What would you do if you smell smoke and noticed a small wire burning under the instrument panel 10nm after departure?
- What type of airspace will KTVC be when you arrive?
- Can you do this flight legally if one of the navigation lights burns out when you land in Beaver Island?
What other questions do you have about this flight?